AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 09:42:20 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Third-Party Plugins
| | |-+  Free DX plugins
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Free DX plugins  (Read 59492 times)
Reply #15
« on: September 24, 2003, 03:50:00 PM »
kylen Offline

OK back to the freeware plug thread - I'll sneak in here with another VST plugin - these will work with Directixer or VST Adapter (Cakewalk). I use CEP 2.1 mostly, Audition 1.0 vanishes from time to time so beware.

A fabulous compressor that seems to use a bit of upward compression at times in addition to the normal downward compression:
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-compressor.php

A GREAT mastering limiter & maximizer:
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-master-limiter.php

Can someone who owns an L2 (software) try out this mastering limiter and see if it sounds as good or better ?

kylen
Reply #16
« on: September 24, 2003, 10:00:38 PM »
zemlin Offline

More VST - I like Endorphin.  Adds PUNCH with ease.

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/

Reply #17
« on: September 24, 2003, 11:38:38 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

While I have employed VST's (with a wrapper), I prefer to steer towards the DX things.  I've just about arrived at the conclusion that with CEP, Waves Native Gold Bundle, T-Racks and Ozone that I've pretty much got everything (at top quality) that I could possibly require.  I still occasionally throw the BBE Sonic Maximizer, AIPL's WarmTone, CloneEnsemble's Bass Chorus or the Antares Mic Modeler into a mix here or there, but I'm normally using them (when I do) for an extreme process.  Their not very subtle anyways!!!

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #18
« on: September 25, 2003, 01:19:11 AM »
kylen Offline

Voodoo - If you have the L1 and some time on your next mix - can you try that mastering limiter I mentioned and tell me what you think compared to L1 ? I guess the L2 is for TDM and Pro Tools ($$$).

thanks,
kylen
Reply #19
« on: September 25, 2003, 07:37:26 AM »
ozpeter Offline

Downloaded those last suggestions of yours, Kylen, and they seem well worth closer examination - only got time for a quick try at present.  Also the reverb seems worth the money!
Reply #20
« on: September 25, 2003, 09:07:09 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

kylen Posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Voodoo - If you have the L1 and some time on your next mix - can you try that mastering limiter I mentioned and tell me what you think compared to L1 ?
Sure!  It might take a little while for me to get around to it, as "having time" is a rarity these days!!!

shocked

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #21
« on: September 26, 2003, 05:40:34 AM »
groucho Offline

Quote from: kylen

A fabulous compressor that seems to use a bit of upward compression at times in addition to the normal downward compression:

Can someone who owns an L2 (software) try out this mastering limiter and see if it sounds as good or better ?

kylen

Wow, thanks for posting these, kylen. I thought I knew about all the freebies, but I missed these somehow. I don't really think much of most of the free stuff out there - particularly in the reverb and compressor department - but these are really good. I'm impressed as hell. Very interesting sound on the compressor in particular.

Yummy yummy free stuff...
Chris
Reply #22
« on: September 26, 2003, 10:23:44 AM »
ozpeter Offline

The reverb is very interesting - seems to emulate real-sounding not-too-big spaces.  Perhaps not so good at long silky concert hall reverbs.  Still playing with it.  It's hard to objectively test one reverb against another - they each have a character which could be useful in a certain situation (apart from a few really nasty ones).  Horses for courses.
Reply #23
« on: September 26, 2003, 11:48:07 AM »
zemlin Offline

Quote from: kylen

kylen
These are news to me also.  Using the SPIN Audio Wrapper Pro, I don't get any graphics on these - well a few knobs and lights show up, but the rest is missing in CEP2.1 and AA - in Vegas they show up fine.

What are you folks wrapping these with that works in AA?

Reply #24
« on: September 26, 2003, 03:10:56 PM »
kylen Offline

I used Cakewalk VST Adapter or Directixer  to wrap these - you're right one of 'em only gives me just buttons on some things. I think VST Adapter is the one that works and gives the full equipment view - I'll check it out tonight if we don't get independent verification. I think Oz uses Spin which I've got lying around her somewhaer too. I believe both of those - Directixer and Spin have demo versions that you can check out to see if they work for you.

I'm back to CEP2.1 as AA has taken to simply vanishing...but I'm a DX/VST pluh guy so I 'spect it doesn't like something there.

I had te reverb crash on exit so, as I do in CEP while using plugs, save your work often ! I don't use that thing anyway since SIR and impulses are tickling my ears at the moment. The compressor and limitor are very good though - I'm using the Mastering limiter across a full mix (only -1.5 dB or so) and it sounds very very good !

kylen
Reply #25
« on: September 26, 2003, 03:13:58 PM »
kylen Offline

Sure! It might take a little while for me to get around to it, as "having time" is a rarity these days!!!

OK, sounds good whenever you think of it. You could even get 'Little Voodoo' to set up the mastering limiter - it's got ONE knob !   Cool

Take care,
kylen
Reply #26
« on: September 26, 2003, 03:39:57 PM »
ozpeter Offline

All works fine with Spinaudio full version wrapper and Win98SE and AA, here.  The reverb has thrown out the odd error message when yanking knobs about during playback but hasn't actually crashed.  All knobs and flashing lights work.  Actually, having said that, I notice the hard limiter's lights come on before you hear the peak being compressed, as if they are reading ahead, which doubtless the effect does.
Reply #27
« on: September 26, 2003, 05:16:13 PM »
groucho Offline

Works fine for me with Spinaudio as well. If only we could somehow convince plug-in manufacturers to stop using these stupid knobs! Arggh! It amazes me that this ridiculously non-functional interface has persisted as long as it has.

But hey, it's free, so this probably is the wrong place for *that* rant.Cheesy

Chris
Reply #28
« on: September 26, 2003, 05:28:44 PM »
kylen Offline

It amazes me that this ridiculously non-functional interface has persisted as long as it has.

I like the pictures of the equipment in a lot of cases but the knobs vary in quality you're right. Do you have a favorite interface we can look at ? Or are you just saying you want a bunch of sliders and no picture of anything...

Here's an idea too, how about putting the sliders or knobs on your favorite picture. This is a family show so I'll keep it cool but I think you could imagine my 'Betty Page Compressor' - cool visual, eh ?

kylen
Reply #29
« on: September 26, 2003, 05:39:07 PM »
groucho Offline

I don't mind knobs *quite* as much if I can at least double-click and enter an exact setting (the way you can on the waves stuff, for example). But really, I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as I can quickly enter the setting I want. I'd say I prefer sliders - they make the most sense when you're working with a mouse.

But this knob thing is idiotic.

Chris
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: