AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 12, 2007, 03:34:18 AM
62625 Posts in 6212 Topics by 2165 Members
Latest Member: keith price
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Hello :-)
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Hello :-)  (Read 440 times)
« on: November 28, 2007, 02:14:42 PM »
2re Offline

Hello everybody  smiley

My name is Tore and I'm an aspiring sound newbie from Norway.
It has become a hobby to edit audio for games I play and a little music mixing. 
This is mostly, easy and simple editing. I got much to learn and that's why I signed up here.

I'm currently working on a sound modification for the 2004 simulation rally game, Richard Burns Rally.
Richard Burns Rally is hailed by many as the best motor simulation ever made.
Its still a popular game and has a huge community from all over the world and new content are released almost every day.

I made my first modification for the game A year after it was released
Warthogs (Developer) sound engineer liked it and offered me the tools he used for making the engine sounds.
This software takes a number of wav files and creates a single "Eng" file.
This has proved to be a challenge and above my skill level so far.

Before I can import the wav files into the tool I have to prepare them with cue markers, zero crossing or beats? I'm not sure.
Its also hard to figure out how many markers are needed.   

I got samples of the original files, with all cues marked correctly. 
It should, I hope be easy for many of you to mediately see how they are made and what they represent.

If anyone can help me understand the basics and show me the way. I'd be most grateful, not only me but RBR fans from all over the world.

Thanks for reading.

Tore

Reply #1
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:35:03 AM »
MarkT Offline

Hello everybody  smiley

My name is Tore and I'm an aspiring sound newbie from Norway.
It has become a hobby to edit audio for games I play and a little music mixing. 
This is mostly, easy and simple editing. I got much to learn and that's why I signed up here.

I'm currently working on a sound modification for the 2004 simulation rally game, Richard Burns Rally.
Richard Burns Rally is hailed by many as the best motor simulation ever made.
Its still a popular game and has a huge community from all over the world and new content are released almost every day.

I made my first modification for the game A year after it was released
Warthogs (Developer) sound engineer liked it and offered me the tools he used for making the engine sounds.
This software takes a number of wav files and creates a single "Eng" file.
This has proved to be a challenge and above my skill level so far.

Before I can import the wav files into the tool I have to prepare them with cue markers, zero crossing or beats? I'm not sure.
Its also hard to figure out how many markers are needed.   

I got samples of the original files, with all cues marked correctly. 
It should, I hope be easy for many of you to mediately see how they are made and what they represent.

If anyone can help me understand the basics and show me the way. I'd be most grateful, not only me but RBR fans from all over the world.

Thanks for reading.

Tore

Hei Tor og velkommen. Jeg kan ikke hjeloe deg med spørsmålet ditt, men det er greit på ha enda en nordmann på banen! Lykke til

"Having most of the universe in a form of matter you can't see is fairly embarrassing"

Steven Phillips, professor of astronomy at the University of Bristol
Reply #2
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:49:05 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Yes, welcome to the forum, Tore.

Hei Tor og velkommen. Jeg kan ikke hjeloe deg med spørsmålet ditt, men det er greit på ha enda en nordmann på banen! Lykke til

I don't mind how many Norwegians there are, as long as they remember to speak English here!

Reply #3
« on: November 29, 2007, 04:22:23 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

I hope they speak English while they're at home, too! I'm planning a trip to Norway soon and my Norwegian is pretty pitiful! With a few educated guesses from German (which I speak fluently) I can get most of it, but wrapping the tongue around all those dipthongs is a challenge!

Mind you, most Norwegians amaze me with their command of English! I guess they get a lot of English-language television shows in the original language with only subtitles, not dubbing.

Comments, Mark?

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #4
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

I was always under the impression that English was widely taught in schools from an early age.  Whereas, unless things have changed greatly since I left, few children in the UK have access to a second language until secondary school (that is, at 11 years of age) by which time it's too late.

Reply #5
« on: November 30, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »
MarkT Offline

Sigh! You try to be friendly and what do you get - heckling and critics on all sides! rolleyes

What I wrote was

Hi   Tore and welcome   I    can't     help   you with the question yours, but it is great to have another North man on the track! Luck to

With a few spelling mistakes thrown in to confuse all non-Norwegian speakers.

I thought all English speakers  learned Norwegian in school! grin

"Having most of the universe in a form of matter you can't see is fairly embarrassing"

Reply #6
« on: November 30, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I thought all English speakers  learned Norwegian in school! grin

No, just how to use a translation service...  wink

Anyway, at least I've been to Norway!

Reply #7
« on: November 30, 2007, 10:32:25 PM »
pwhodges Offline

Anyway, at least I've been to Norway!

And I  worked for a Norwegian company for several years, and went over for a lot of training (and in my next job had a major Norwegian client that I visited a number of times as well).

Paul
Reply #8
« on: December 03, 2007, 02:56:21 AM »
2re Offline

Hi guys.

Thanks for the friendly welcome. This seams like a nice forum to hang around  cool

Yes most Norwegians have good understanding of the English language.
I think we get English lessons from the age of ten. Not sure, its been awhile wink
You're right about the TV shows Phil. Hollywood has been an educating factor since the black&white days.
One can learn a lot from watching foreign films with translated subtitles.
I've watched Arnold go amok in theaters in Spain, it was hilarious.   

I think its horrible that so many European countries dub movies into their own language.

Anyway, back to topic.

I've included 2 wavs in the zip. This is just 2 out of the 10 files that combined creates a complete engine.
Each wav represents a certain engine rev. The one named 5000 100. Means the engine is full on at 5000 rpm.
Rpm is perhaps not the correct term? Well I'm sure you know what I mean.

In the 5000 file. The cue markers are set at zero crossing, but not all of them is marked.
In the 1700 file. The cues are not set at zero crossing.

So perhaps the game is reading the cues at a certain interval? Or its marked at beats?   
I need to understand how they are made. And hopefully make a automated script. I'll upload a few more files for analysis if needed. 
I know how to find and mark cues, but my automated scripts always ends up with ten times more cues than what is present in the original files.?

Btw i'm using Adobe Audition 1.5   

Any help is appreciated.

Tore 

Reply #9
« on: December 04, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Havoc Offline

I think its horrible that so many European countries dub movies into their own language.

Most of the "Gallic" languages do (french, spanish,Italian etc) while most of the "Germanic" ones don't (except Germany of course). (don't know if those are the correct terms to describe those language families) And it is indeed a very great help to learn a language. We had a swede over last year and he learned enough Dutch in a couple of weeks to follow our conversations and chip in. All that with the help of the television news, strips and detective dvd's. He had a talent for languages, but it was still very impressive.

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #10
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:27:43 AM »
MarkT Offline

Most of the "Gallic" languages do (french, spanish,Italian etc) while most of the "Germanic" ones don't (except Germany of course). (don't know if those are the correct terms to describe those language families) And it is indeed a very great help to learn a language. We had a swede over last year and he learned enough Dutch in a couple of weeks to follow our conversations and chip in. All that with the help of the television news, strips and detective dvd's. He had a talent for languages, but it was still very impressive.

Whilst any native English speaker will be  (maybe rightly) considered biased for advocating the adoption of English as a universal language, I do wish we had made use of the opportunity presented by Windows (et al) to adopt English as the universal computer language. If all users had been taught that "computer" is a special language everyone needs to use for dealing with PCs, everyone would know what file/edit/view etc meant and we could all talk to each other  about PC's wiithout problems of translated jargon.

Reply #11
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »
2re Offline

Hehe  grin

Discussing languages was not my intention, but I don't mind having a meaningful conversation anyway.

I've known for quite many years that Germans dub their movies.   grin
Ohh Jaah Helga, Ich gehabe das  groose knackwurst. Well that's how most if it sounded to me when I was a kid.   

Hmm. Perhaps PC language should have been written in Esperanto.
It would have made the transition so much easier, for the world to start using a common language.
Many people started out with English versions of windows and office and other software because there where no localized versions ready.
And this is still very much true. So English is probably the most used.

When I think of it.  I even prefer English in some applications rather than Norwegian, simply because many computer terms are not proper translated. 

I believe we will eventually get voice recognition software that can translate most languages on the fly or write subtitles to movies as you watch them.

Its crazy how fast things are developing in computer science. Imagine 10 years or 30 years from now.  shocked

Reply #12
« on: December 05, 2007, 08:27:58 PM »
Havoc Offline

everyone would know what file/edit/view etc meant and we could all talk to each other  about PC's wiithout problems of translated jargon.

I was quite scared when you started about "the opportunity Windows..." but you do have a point. I remember the first time trying to navigate a german webshop with computer stuff. It was full of things like arbeitsspeicher, festplatten, eingabegerate and so on. Took a while before I understood what it was all about. And lastly I had a to figure out what Automatikblendenkorrektur might mean.

Ohh Jaah Helga, Ich gehabe das  groose knackwurst

I would like to know what movies you looked at... grin

Expert in non-working solutions.
Reply #13
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
2re Offline

Ask Helga, she knows  grin

Here's another fun mix of German and English.

I love Simracing like the old masterpiece Grand Prix Legends.
Try it out.. Its a blast to drive, even with the numpad keys.
http://www.bhmotorsports.com/download/6447

Picture is from the Nurburgring track. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: