AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 10, 2007, 09:38:50 PM
62075 Posts in 6141 Topics by 2108 Members
Latest Member: tbman
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0 & 3.0
| | |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0
| | | |-+  Hang on DX enable and refresh - preset importing issues
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Hang on DX enable and refresh - preset importing issues  (Read 1181 times)
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:34:41 AM »
VomitGod Offline

I've got 2.0 to hang, after enabling Direct X plugins (and getting a "this plugin is only licensed to be used with Cakewalk Project 5).  Now I can't finish a plugin refresh at all, nor can I disable DX plugins since there's no option to do so.

Is there any way to reset? I tried doing a repair install but that didn't change anything.

I also removed "DirectX.xfm" from the root directory, but now Audition just crashes when scanning plugins on boot.

I've had issues like this before re: Audition vs. Cakewalk's VST Manager, but usually only prompts - not hangs or crashes.
Reply #1
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:38:32 AM »
VomitGod Offline

...following up.

I think Audition is crashing when it scans the Sonitus:fx plugins (installed as part of Sonar 5 PE).
Reply #2
« on: January 18, 2006, 03:00:49 AM »
groucho Offline

Those plugs make my 1.0 crash as well.

Chris
Reply #3
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:44:47 AM »
ozpeter Offline

Ok...  this relates to the question about getting presets from the old version to the new version, but it may be of general interest.

First - you may/should find that the presets copy themselves across when you install.

Second - try the trick of dragging audition.ini from Audition 1.x onto the Audition 2.0 icon BUT FOLLOW ADVICE FURTHER DOWN ABOUT BACKING UP YOUR AA2.0 PREFERENCES FIRST.  And read all of it before doing anything.  You may find that your presets get corrupted so the backup procedure allows you to restore their last state.

Third - create a session in AA1.5 where the presets you want are used.  Then open that session in AA2.0 and save the presets manually there under the names you want.

Fourth - if you are confident and knowledgable you may be able to do some copying / pasting between the AA1.x preset location and the AA2.0 preset location.

Now here's something I prepared earlier, which contains some detailed advice about AA2.0 preferences.  Note this is my advice, not Adobe's.  Don't blame me if your installation goes haywire, though the good news is that you can easily reset everything without having to reinstall, though you will lose your custom stuff in the process.

===========================================
Backing up Audition 2.0 preferences

It's a good scheme to do this from time to time even if things are running well.

1.  Close Audition
2.  Go to C:\Documents and settings\[yourusername]\Application Data\Audiition
3.  You should see a folder named "2.0" - make a copy of the whole folder and its contents and call it "My last 2.0" [or whatever] using normal Windows procedures.

In the future, if you've had a problem you may need selectively to restore (copy) the files or folders from "My last 2.0" into "2.0", as they contain important setups and customisations which you'll probably want to have back. Here's a list of some of them:-

DefaultWorkspaces [folder] - contains the "factory" workspaces.  Audition expects to find the contents there under the original names, but if you want you can replace them with defaults of your own devising, using the same names.

OriginalUSerWorkspaces [folder] - these are in essence backups of the workspaces you have saved yourself.  If you restore a workspace after having amended it, Audition will use the contents of this folder.

UserWorkspaces [folder] - these are the current versions of workspaces you have created yourself.  If you restore a workspace after having amended it, Audition will replace the workspace in this folder with the one from the OriginalUserWorkspaces folder.

AudCust.ini
- Favourites definitions

AUDITION.INI
- Edit view mastering rack definitions
- "Extract from CD" definitions

AudMP3.ini
- Definitions of mp3 encoding settings

audition_settings.xml
- general settings and preferences - this contains a lot of handy stuff

efffect_settings.xml
- effect settings
=========================================================

See also the following tech docs:-

Using the VST Plug-in Manager (Adobe Audition 2.0)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332575.html

Troubleshoot effects plug-ins for VST and DirectX (Adobe Audition)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330271.html
Reply #4
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:46:01 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: ozpeter

Second - try the trick of dragging audition.ini from Audition 1.x onto the Audition 2.0 icon BUT FOLLOW ADVICE FURTHER DOWN ABOUT BACKING UP YOUR AA2.0 PREFERENCES FIRST.  And read all of it before doing anything.  You may find that your presets get corrupted so the backup procedure allows you to restore their last state.

If there's any justice in the world, this has been disabled in this release - it is not a safe option with AA2.0. What is likely to happen is that you will lose all of the existing presets!

Reply #5
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:01:02 AM »
ozpeter Offline

More on problems with DX effects -

When I had a similar problem with a 3rd-party-video-related DX, simply choosing "continue" when the crash recovery offered me that option seemed to enable Audition to 'skip over' the offending DX.

I had load of trouble getting past a Cyberlink DX thing. The program crashed on first run, then having cleared the hurdle on second run, I hit it again when refreshing effects after pointing Audition to my VST folder. The solution was ...

1) After adding my VST folder to Audition's list, answer "no" to "refresh effects now?"

2) Exit Audition

3) Run it again

4) Choose Refresh Effects Now manually.

Then it gets past the problem DX.

Whether any of this will assist with the DX-related problem above, I don't know.
Reply #6
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »
ozpeter Offline

If there's any justice in the world, this has been disabled in this release - it is not a safe option with AA2.0. What is likely to happen is that you will lose all of the existing presets!

I think it will indeed be interesting to see what feedback other users can provide on these matters as the days go by.
Reply #7
« on: January 18, 2006, 12:14:23 PM »
VomitGod Offline

Thanks for the assist, oz!

I had so much trouble with 2.0 after the plugin fiasco that I simply restored from a Ghost image and reinstalled, and have thus far only enabled VST plugins (all of the plugins I use in Audition are both DX/VST) without issue.

That said, if I have issue in the future, I'll pick through my Application Data\Adobe\Audition\2.0 folder and see if I can remedy that way.

Cheers!
Reply #8
« on: January 18, 2006, 05:11:33 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

May I suggest that this thread be renamed to "DX Enable - Hang & Importing of Presets"?  Or maybe split these?

I'm squeamish about manually copying and pasting between documents... the old Cool.ini system is obviously now dead, and I feel like I'm in over my head.  This is not good in that I have a great many presets that I've accumulated over the years on account of recurring audio circumstances.  These presets are pretty critical to me.  They're simply not there after installing 2.0.  

My most critical presets are for the Full Reverb effect.  It took me a couple of hours to edit my preset list, save to a 1.5 session, open in 2.0, and save new presets.  And that only took care of Full Reverb, nothing else.  I don't want to rain on the parade, but if the moderators ever start a "things you should know before you buy" thread, I'd put this in the list, because this will be insignificant to some but isn't to me.

Important tip: if you use an AA1.5 session to move presets, make sure you put a clip on every track (or the same clip on every track) where you've applied an effect.  AA2.0 automatically deletes clip-less tracks when converting a session, whether an effect is present or not.
Reply #9
« on: January 18, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I've changed the thread's title, but I'm not going to make another sticky out of this yet, because there's already one about presets. What I will do though, is to put a link to this thread in it, because it's relevant.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: