AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 10, 2007, 09:48:38 PM
62075 Posts in 6141 Topics by 2108 Members
Latest Member: tbman
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0 & 3.0
| | |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0
| | | |-+  Interpret 32 bit as 16.8
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Interpret 32 bit as 16.8  (Read 525 times)
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:52:59 AM »
frugal Offline
Stop the world...this isn't my bus. Posts: 141

I don't why I never noticed this before.  Is there any point in leaving this checked?
JTC

The Frugal Audio Guy
www.FrugalAudio.com
Reply #1
« on: January 22, 2006, 03:47:49 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

This is not new to AA2.0 but  has  been necessary ever since the proprietary 32-bit file format used in early versions of Cool Edit Pro (1.2 and prior) was replaced by the widely standardized 32-bit float that is the current default.  I can't tell you why it's necessary, but I am confident that you generally don't need it checked with two exceptions: either you'll be opening sessions containing 32-bit files made in an old version of CEP, or newer sessions where the 16.8 format was used instead of the default.

Actually, it was a great format.  Too bad it didn't catch on.  Not that its mathmatical advantages occur at a level that's actually audible... far below that.
Reply #2
« on: January 22, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »
frugal Offline
Stop the world...this isn't my bus. Posts: 141

I realized it wasn't new.  All the more reason I feel silly for not noticing before.  The reason I asked is because the new install of 2.0 had it checked by default.  I went back and checked it was checked in 1.5 as well.  I guess I'll leave it unchecked for the time being as it seems an extra step to have to convert from a straight 32bit file to 16.8 when the file loads.
JTC

The Frugal Audio Guy
www.FrugalAudio.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: