AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 15, 2007, 08:44:52 AM
62671 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2168 Members
Latest Member: offTheRecord
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Radio, TV and Video Production
| | |-+  A common effect in film and tv but how?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: A common effect in film and tv but how?  (Read 1560 times)
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »
toneranger33 Offline

I’m sure you can picture the scene but how do we create it in radio drama?

The effect I’m looking for is some-ones inner thoughts as they’re mind recollects something.

Like the voice inside your head, what you don’t get them?

Idea is the speaker is not only narrating a tale but at the same time, you hear there thoughts on what they have just said.

Any ideas.

TIA
Reply #1
« on: March 23, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »
zemlin Offline

I'm thinking it's just a reverb effect.  Record two vocal tracks - the dialogue voice and the inner voice.  Apply reflections and reverb to the inner voice.

Reply #2
« on: March 23, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: zemlin
I'm thinking it's just a reverb effect.  Record two vocal tracks - the dialogue voice and the inner voice.  Apply reflections and reverb to the inner voice.

That's about it - but try it with rather less early reflections on the inner voice than you might use for 'normal' reverb, and you need to get the voice perspectives correct too - the inner voice should speak quietly, nearer to the mic than the dialogue voice.

Reply #3
« on: March 24, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »
RossW Offline

Reverb (and perhaps some filtering to a narrower bandwidth) is the classic way to represent an internal thought in audio... Ken Nordine is the master of the technique.

I'd suggest possibly adding a subtle musical effect under the voice -- a very low-level drone, repetitive bowed strings (don't know the proper musical term), a sort of bubbly undercurrent, etc.  Just something minimalist and organic-sounding (!?) to set the voice off from the rest of the dialog.
Reply #4
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:10:30 AM »
blurk Offline

I'm not a radio person, but my sense of logic suggests that the speaking voice should have the reverb since it is in a physical space, but the inner voice should be dry since it is disembodied.
Reply #5
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:22:51 AM »
Emmett Offline

Much of it is proximity.  On TV, most of the voices are not from close, in studio mics.  A lot also has to do with delivery.

To do this, I voice the normal voice part from about a foot away...For the "thought" part, I mic the voice from about 2".  Then I jack up the bass (80-125Hz) on the thought section.  Sometimes I widen the space by delaying one of the channels by about 6ms.  Also, lots more compression (smooth) on the thought voice.

Emmett
Reply #6
« on: March 24, 2006, 07:03:46 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: blurk
I'm not a radio person, but my sense of logic suggests that the speaking voice should have the reverb since it is in a physical space, but the inner voice should be dry since it is disembodied.

It seems to work better the other way around! I think that this may have more to do with working conventions and established practices (which would loosely translate to genre) than logic, though.

Reply #7
« on: March 27, 2006, 12:06:18 PM »
toneranger33 Offline

Thanks all for your help and replies.

Toneranger33
Reply #8
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:48:01 PM »
BFM Offline

I tend to agree with Emmett and Steve, this is best achieved by changing the delivery. Reverb effects will give the speech a dreamy quality, and maybe even a sense of the past. Our inner voice when we're thinking is a quiet whispering voice, there is no echo at all! Although William Shakespeare took even this inner voice to magnificent levels, all of 400 years ago in his "soliloquy" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliloquy .
Reply #9
« on: March 30, 2006, 02:52:18 AM »
DeluXMan Offline

I would concur with reverb and bandwidth narrowing.
For the "psyco" effect add echos.  Tongue

=DeluX-Man=
Reply #10
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »
Andrew Rose Offline

Think of Homer Simpson's conversations with himself...

Reply #11
« on: April 04, 2006, 03:51:31 PM »
zemlin Offline

Quote from: Andrew Rose
Think of Homer Simpson's conversations with himself...

Reply #12
« on: April 08, 2006, 10:30:15 PM »
DeluXMan Offline

Homer looks in bakery window: "MMMMmmmmm... erotic cakes!"  "ahaghahggahghgha.."

=DeluX-Man=
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: